Rummy is a group of matching cards that deals with a basic goal, to construct meld of similar cards, having consecutive rank and same suit. There are 3 types of meld those are actually taken into consideration when played this game, those are:
- Pure Sequence:A pure sequence is group of three or more consecutive cards of the same suit that is formed without any joker. For example: 3♥ 4♥ 5♥.
- Triplets: A set is a group of three or four cards of the same value in different suits. For example: A♥ A♣ A♦.
- Impure Sequence: An impure sequence is group of three or more consecutive cards of the same suit with one or more jokers. For example: 4♦ 5♦ Q♠ 7♦ Q♠ is used as a wild joker to replace 6♦ to form a sequence of 4♦ 5♦ 6♦ 7♦
Though rummy is quite an old game, but the subject on its origin is quite a debatable topic till date. According to the Scholar David Parlett, all types of rummy games are the ancestral of an old game named as “Conquian”, a Mexican Game, which is again derived from one of the oldest card game originated in china named “Khanhoo”. Quite an Inception isn’t it?
As the game, the name of the game has also certain impact on the current debate topics till date. Though it is not sure, but there are a lot of theories explained on this topic
- In this word of rummy if we go for a syllabic division of the word, then we get a word “Rum”, which is a British slang means “Odd” or “Peculiar” or “Queer”, perhaps the first reaction given on learning this game.
- Some also describe this game as a gambling game, which was earlier played to win a glass of Rum (an Alcoholic drink), which is the reason; the name was suggested as rummy.
- An early rulebook spelled it as “Rhum” or “Rhummy”, suggesting a European derivation (“rhum” is a word used in many French-speaking locales).
- The name Rummy may be based on the words “rumbullion” or “rumbustion”, meaning “a great tumult or uproar”.
Rummy has several variants, but the most popular among all those variants is the “Gin Rummy”, originated in United States, which is equally as appealing as the game Poker.
The Indian Version of Rummy game is called as the “Classic Indian Rummy”, which is a combination of “Rummy 500” and “Gin Rummy”. Otherwise known as “Paplu”, which is said to be derived from an ancient rummy game played in South Asia known as “Celebes rummy” or “Rhuk”.
Since Rummy has been declared as more of a game of skill than gambling by the law, which is the reason it is almost legal in every part of the country, both Online and Offline Rummy.
But the Fact that personally inclines me towards this beautiful game of rummy is the rules with which we play the game. We can almost play this game in our made rules and choices. Rummy is one of such game where we can choose whether we want to play with a joker, or without a joker, and if also we play with a joker, we have the full authority to choose the joker card for particular gameplay. It is not necessary to choose only the printed joker, we can choose any card randomly as the joker, and all of the cards having the same run, irrespective of their suits would be considered as the joker.
And one of the another shocking fact about this game is, if we play rummy on a regular basis, then it can increase our memory power, which in turn would definitely help us in other phases of life.
Isn’t it a beautiful game, that enhance and sharpen up the skills and simultaneously gives you the pleasure of competing with the experts.
Still thinking, whether is it legal or not? Don’t waste your time in thinking, and register yourself at www.silkrummy.com to experience the beautiful ancient game of Rummy.